- 1st impression
- clear & brief (blunt)
- don't be creative, be tactful
- think of your tone (semi-formal)
- think of your audience
Pronouns: I, you, we
- "we" only use when you're representing your company
- starting an opinion use "I"
Active vs. Passive Voice
- the best writers achieve a style that their message can't be misunderstood.
- to be clear avoid the passive voice
e.g. The net benefits of divesture were grossly over-estimated. (x)
The global finance team grossly overestimated the net benefits of divesture. (o)
- starting a mistake, use the passive voice.
- Prepare (Before writing)
- think/consider your audience
- semi-formal (tone)
- clear language
- use the active voice
- no longer than 1 page
- for confidential information avoid the memorandum -face to face-
# Primary Purpose of Memorandum:
- to communicate with a large # of employees or members another organization
- connects employees in an effective, concise method that connects the writer with the interests/needs of the recipients.
# Purposes for Memorandums
- policy change
- personnel changes
- project status update
- offering products/services to employees
- request employees
- provide feedback
February 7, 2012 (TUE)
- Paul Kim's writing class